Friday, October 23, 2009

Resolutions

You may remember that our family had a group of New Year's Resolutions all revolving around pants. I posted an update around Valentine's Day as an indicator that we were going to make it. I'm happy to say we have good news in all areas. So here's the update:

Ruth

Goal: Continue to outgrow her pants.

Current: Ruth is not yet a year old (but almost) and is solidly in size 12 month pants.

James

Goal: Keep his pants clean and dry (potty training).

Current: James has been successfully daytime potty trained since January or February. Nighttime has been another story. We accepted the fact that he would have less control at night for awhile. Then James decided it was awfully convenient to hold his poop until we put a diaper on him at night. He did it while awake, though. Not cool. This spurred a whole string of different types of reinforcement: positive, negative, punishments, rewards.

Finally, last month, we took Dan's dad's advice and started rinsing James with cups full of cold water when he pooped his diaper. After about 3 or 4 repetitions he stopped for awhile. Then he decided to laugh when getting a cold bath and went back to pooping in his diaper! Per Amberly's suggestion we tried a cold shower and since then--for more than 2 weeks--James' diaper has been clean every morning! It still gets wet, but we'll take it!

Lisa

Goal: Fit in my pants. I.E., get down to the weight I was when Dan and I got married by our anniversary, June 17th. This meant baby weight +10, or 16lbs. By Dan's birthday I had lost 12lbs! I was so proud of myself, I lost all self control and gained 4lbs. Then I stopped nursing Ruth and lost the magical weight loss power. I stayed the same from April all the way until August! August!

Then I finally got serious and started counting calories. Thanks to Traci, Shelly, and Bart for making me do something I was sure I never would. That helped me get control of my eating again. I continued my exercise routine--which had always been sufficient if I could control my eating--and starting losing weight again!

Current: As of a week or so ago, I am back to the weight I was when I got married! That is 10lbs less than when I found out I was pregnant with James and Ruth! I fit in all my pants (although my rib cage is still expanded from pregnancy and not all my shirts fit as well--I wish it was a chest size change like most women). My new goal is to decrease "pinchability".

Dan

Goal: Fit into his pants again.

Current: As of the last 3 or 4 weeks, Dan has finally started making lifestyle changes toward achieving this goal. He is inspired by my weight loss, his disgust with his tummy flab, and our upcoming cruise in December! He plays hockey every Wednesday morning, runs another 2 or 3 times a week, and does crunches/leg lifts and push-ups everyday. He is also eating smaller portions and hasn't asked me to make cookies even once! I am very proud of him, but I miss his support of my sweet tooth. Probably for the best!

How are you doing on your goals?

4 comments:

Nicole said...

Wow, cold water as a potty training technique? I haven't heard of that one before! I'm doing pretty well on New Years goals, most importantly on my resolution to "live in the moment" and enjoy each phase of my kids' development. The time goes so fast -- it's almost holiday time and then time for new New Years resolutions!

Lauren said...

Sigh. I don't even remember making resolutions, but all I know is getting back to my engagement size is tops on the list for next year, as I'm gaining weight like my mom during this pregnancy, and it's getting ugly!

Look forward to family pictures next month, where standing next to 29 week pregnant me will make you and Linda look extra skinny! :)

Emily said...

Lisa- you guys are awesome. Way to reach your goals. Trev and I have been making goals all year only to watch ourselves slip on them, so last Monday for FHE we reviewed all of our goals and decided how to achieve them, and I feel so much better. Isn't is hard to stick with resolutions? I sure think so.

Janssen said...

Very impressive. I've been thinking about my resolutions as the end of the year approaches and I have some catching up to do to make some of them, but others have been steadily and consistently good all year.